View the current
RSS Feed for
What is RSS and
how do I use it?
Search Article Database
Request a Media Kit
Subscribe to TimberLine
Link To Us
Category: Schools of Forestry/Wood Sciences
Return to home page
Would you like to add a link to the Schools of Forestry/Wood Sciences category?
- Auburn Forestry Department - Research program at Auburn University.
- Center for Forest Products Marketing and Management -
Research center at VPI&SU (Virginia Tech) which conducts industry research, presents educational seminars, and oversees education in forest related disciplines.
- Colorado State Forest Service - Colorado State research on tree planting and management
- Department of Forest Products, University of Idaho - The Department of Forest Products offers bachelor's degree within three options which include Forest Operations, Forest Products Business Management, or Wood Construction & Design. Master's and Ph.D. degrees are offered in these options as well as Wood Chemistry and Wood composites.
- Department of Wood Science & Forest Products of Virginia Tech -
One of the most active forest products departments, it has a special emphasis on pallets and containers via its Sardo Laboratory and Center for Unit Load Design.
- LSU Ag Center - Major research portal and scientific extension resource by the LSU staff.
- Mississippi State University's College of Forest Resources - Major forest product research program. Web site has articles on research, university contacts and free software applications for industry.
- MSU Department of Forestry - Research forestry department in the upper Midwest.
- NC State University Wood Product Extension Service -
The Wood Products Extension Service provides educational opportunities for managers and key personnel of primary and secondary wood processing firms and the consumers of wood products in North Carolina.
- Oregon State University Wood Science - Basic information about one of the leading forest products programs on the West Coast.
- Penn State Schoo of Forest Resources - One of the leading forestry programs in the Eastern U.S.
- Purdue - Purdue offers specialty focus on wood products and manufacturing.
- University of Florida - School of Forest Resources & Conservation - Major forestry research program in the SE.
- University of Georgia Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources - he nationally accredited Forestry curriculum is widely regarded as one of the top five forestry programs in the country. It provides a sound understanding of forest ecosystems, the various ways people view and utilize the forest, and management tools and concepts applied in forest conservation and management.
The curriculum stresses "hands-on" field experience, teamwork, and developing critical thinking skills through problem analysis, and is accredited by the Society of American Foresters
The graduate from this major will be a professional forester responsible for the resolution of competing uses of the forest and forest resources, and for the management of healthy, productive forests in meeting the owner's objectives.
Graduates frequently take employment in the region's dynamic forest products industry, with forestry or environmental consulting firms, or with public land management agencies.
- University of Kentucky - Department of Forestry - University of Kentucky program includes a Wood Center that specializes in training for forest products manufacturing processes.
- University of Minnesota - Upper Midwest research university with specialty in forestry.
- University of Missouri - School of Natural Resources - Mizzou offers research articles and information on urban forestry, logging and wood processing, forest management, and forest health.
- University of Washington - College of Forest Resources - Research, online resources and college information from one of the leading forestry programs in the country.
- UT Forest Products Center - University of Tennessee offers a Forest Products Center with expertise on manufacturing and drying technology.
- West Virginia University Wood Science and Technology - One of the four programs in the Division of Forestry and Natural Resources at West Virginia University. It is a nationally recognized program accredited by SWST and offers degrees in two areas of emphasis: Wood Processing and Forest Utilization. Faculty members have specialties in Biomass Utilization and Bioenergy, Biomass Gasification and Pyrolysis, Forest Operations/Engineering, Wood Engineering and Chemistry, Composites and Material Science, and Forest Products Marketing.
- Western Maine Forest Resources Training Consortium - “The mission of the Western Maine Forest Resource Training Consortium is to identify and facilitate the development and implementation of the skills and knowledge needed to create a vital, professional labor force for the forest products industry in western Maine that will prosper and thrive in the global, technologically advanced and environmentally conscious economy of the 21st century.”
- Wisconsin - Forest Ecology & Mgt - University of Wisconsin forestry department.
- Yale Forestry Department - Major research program on forestry and the environment.